Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Just about to give up--and then...!

After a somewhat demoralizing day of learning that there's so much research and literature on ELL teaching, I felt like throwing in the towel.  Like I couldn't get this done.  That I just couldn't do this.

And then Melissa, Community Chair from OLAS responds to e-mail after a month.  That should help me get volunteers.

Her e-mail was a message from God.  I don't know why, but I was just worried I wouldn't be able to get this thing going--with all the materials and planning.

But I got this.  I want to do this.  ALMas is going to happen, in one way or another.

I've got the contacts; I'm building collaboratives and human capital; I'm putting in the elbow grease (and now I have to more than ever with the amount of reading I now just learned I have to do).

Next steps:

Go to Richard J. Daley Elementary tomorrow and find an ESL teacher and ask for contact information as well as the teacher's lesson plans so I can start structuring the afterschool program around it.

That's what I call working around obstacles.  Forget teacher's strike.  I need to get in contact with that school's ESL teacher(s), SO I DAMN WILL.

No comments:

Post a Comment